There are a lot of individuals who travel without an insurance. To them, such policies are just a waste of money, considering the possible costs of backpacking in a foreign land. However, travel insurance is a must have other than your luggages and essential documents. In times of crisis, the policy will cover the expenses incurred from hospitalization, flight delays, lost luggages and many others. Aside from that, it is the best protection against debt because an insured individual does not have to spend his/her money for the damages or bad experiences he/she has been through.
A travel insurance is truly an effective tool that offers a peace of mind. If your trip is interrupted, all the costs are recovered and there is nothing to worry about the possible expenses. However, there are some things to keep in mind when you buy a travel insurance policy. It is important to know when to buy or when not to buy this kind of insurance, to make sure that you do not spend your money on something that you cannot use.
When to buy a travel insurance
A travel insurance is a must have if;
- You are spending an enormous amount of money for a vacation. A big ticket purchase is something that can be a huge loss on your part when some things are not going well. Make sure to get a travel insurance to safeguard your trip from potential expenses caused by losses, theft and uncontrollable circumstances.
- You are a nervous backpacker. If you think you will have flight cancellation, accident or health issues along the way, better get yourself a travel insurance to give you a peace of mind.
- You are cruising or having a package tour. To ensure that you do not miss cruise lines or tour packages, purchase a travel insurance to rebook or reimburse your expenses when things are not doing well on you.
- You have a lengthy itinerary. Travel insurance is a necessity when you travel from one place to the other. Regardless of how safe and secured the destination is, you will never know when you get sick or missed a flight.
- You are travelling internationally. Most of us are secured with health insurance policies in our own country but these are not applicable in other parts of the world. To cover any medical expenses, get your own travel insurance policy that covers health related issues experienced in the country where you are travelling at.
When not to buy a travel insurance
A travel insurance is not necessary if;
- Your trip is short and inexpensive.
- You are spending less and you do not mind losing the cost of your travel should there be an unexpected circumstance that will take place.
- You travel through a flight voucher or you stay at your friend’s house.
- You have a pre-existing medical condition.
- The coverage is redundant or you have a travel insurance with similar policies and benefits.
There is no perfect insurance policy for backpackers. However, there is always something in store for you if you search and find a travel insurance for your needs. Take your time to do some research and consider these factors to buy or not to buy a travel insurance.
Do I need a travel insurance? – The Guardian
Do I really need travel insurance – The Telegraph